FAITH IN ELECTIONS – VOTER QUALIFICATION & REGISTRATION
- By this petition we want to let our Legislators know that we support the establishment of New Hampshire laws that will restore and preserve or faith in New Hampshire’s Voting Process by voicing our support for NH H.B. 86 as Amended and shown with this Petition.
H.B. 86, as amended, will:
Mandating the positive verification of identity and NH residency (domicile) at the time of registration.
- Require a photo ID at time of registration and voting; and
- Eliminate the rules that allow out of state college students to register and vote in NH.
- Current law allows a person to register and vote in person or by absentee ballot without any proof of identity or residency by merely filling out a form that swears that they are who they say they are and that they live where they say they live. Election officials are essentially required accept these affidavits and allow the person to vote even though the Affidavit has not been verified. In the November election New Hampshire had over 75,000 people register and vote on the day of election and had over 260,000 people vote by absentee ballots all of which could have voted based on the strength of a mere piece of unverified paper. Our ballot box decisions are too important to trust to a piece of unverified paper
Out of State College Students are by definition, transient. Yet current law allows them to register and vote in New Hampshire elections and again despite an unverified affidavit, are free to vote a second time in their home state. Worse yet there are proposals in the NH Legislature that will allow an out of state student who registers to vote to pay in-state tuition! There are over 9,000 registered out of state students at Plymouth State and UNH Durham. These students will, for the most part move on at the end of the school year yet they are afforded the same citizenship rights as our own young adults who live in, work in and contribute to our state. This is not fair! You either meet the requisite qualifications for a NH voter under our State Laws and Constitution or not. Your temporary attendance at college is not relevant.
By signing this Petition, we are letting our State Senators and Representatives know that we want them to support H.B. 86, as amended and restore faith and integrity to our voting process by:
- Mandating the positive verification of identity and NH residency (domicile) at the time of registration.
- Requiring a photo ID at time of registration and voting;
- Eliminating the rules that allow out of state college students to register and vote in NH; and
- Preserving the value of a Citizen’s Vote by limiting voting participation to only those who have truly manifested an intent to, and have a vested interest in, maintaining our communities.